11.05.2006

Dinner With Other People's Parents

The odyssee continues. Today brought me to Magnolia. You'll never find a more wretched hive of dull suburbia. As a neighboorhood it simply has nothing to offer. Unless, I suppose, you are in the business of accepting acres upon acres of residential zoning.
Not being married or having divorced parents, I am inexperienced at the finer aspects of having in-laws. Tonight's dinner was hosted by a friend's father. Father's fiancee was also in attendance. I think I can appreciate everyone's position. Fiancee wants to be liked by her soon to be sons-in-law (but doesn't quite know how to relate to them). Soon to be sons-in-law want father to be happy(but don't have any interest in relating to fiancee). Father would just like everyone to get along (and maybe make it through dinner without bloodshed).
This is how I imagine everyone at the table is feeling. But after starting dinner on an empty stomach and going through a few bottles of wine I suppose what you get is more like what I had a front row seat for. Not that it was bad. Indeed our hosts were most gracious and I am grateful to them for having me over. The wine was good, I wasn't driving, and the young people at the table were able to have their own conversations above and around any unrest that might have been taking place.

Seattle weather continues to astound. The morning was clear and sunny and the perfect temperature for a run through the arboretum. The weather held long enough to get in a brisk walk down to the local pho restauranteur without getting soaked. It did not hold long enough to get home.

No comments: